I Love letters! Write me at:

55 W. 29th Ave. Ste. A
Eugene, OR 97405
or email me @ aubrey.glasgow@myldsmail.net

Monday, November 1, 2010

November 1, 2010

Well I thought I would have some crazy stories to tell about Halloween in Eugene, but I saw maybe 5 people dressed up last night!!
Let me tell you all about my fantastic week!!
Last Monday we played dodge ball with our zone, about 30 missionaries. We also had a BBQ and played around the world pool... I killed them all! Dodge ball was so much fun. I was the only sister that would play, the elders can be a little bit rough. I had a blast though. The assistants came to play with us and I was loving it so much! I was pretty sore the next few days though... I don't use my shoulder like that very often!
Tuesday we had a lesson with Jamie. We gave her Book of Mormon on tape for her to listen too. She is really scared to leave her apartment. She told us that she lived on the streets, in shelters and in the woods for the last 12 years. It was so sad to hear about her past, things that I don't really want to know, but I know it helps her feel good talking about it and getting it out of her life for good. She is bipolar and has schizophrenia along with other things. I am glad that we are able to teach her and let her know about the Savior and how he truly heals us when we have faith in him, repent are baptized and receive the holy ghost. It has been great for us to be there for her. We taught Stephanie that night and had a wonderful lesson about the priesthood. I reflected on the priesthood and how it has helped me in my life. I am grateful for the lessons that help me and teach me. Missions are like that. I help out, but in the end, I am being helped more than anyone. Service.... so good.
Wednesday we read the Book of Mormon with Brad and Jackie again... they didn't read and I wanted to pull out my hair. They aren't progressing yet. I want this so bad for their family, but I know that they will be ready when it is right. That night Sister Abbott and Sister Losee came down from Willamina and spent the night. It was so fun to talk with my trainer again. I love her and I am glad that she is happy. Again, I felt like we just had a sleepover and we laughed and told funny stories about the mission all night long. Don't worry I got some sleep :)
Thursday we had Zone Conference. Elder Kukuchi from the Seventy came and spoke to us. He was so funny!! We spent 8 hours with him... it was a very long day. We had only a 35 min lunch break and then it was back to learn. He came to tour the mission so he talked a lot about the good things that we are doing, and the things that we need to work on. The good things: We are baptizing like crazy, but he promised that if we would be 100% obedient to the morning schedule (up at 6:30am, exercise, eat, get ready and be on time to studies) that we would double, triple and quadruple our baptisms. It was so amazing to hear the promises that are in store for our mission as we focus on being more obedient. He chastised a lot of the missionaries for sleeping in. He had each district stand up and say what they were not doing. It was really scary, but everyone did it and we all committed to working harder and being obedient. One of the things that really stuck with me is being active in the church and staying active in the church when we go home. What is it that makes us fall away? We should be learning Christ's Doctrine, Listen to the Holy Ghost, Pray, Read from the Book of Mormon, and attend Church. By doing all of these things we can receive personal revelation. That will be my guide and is my guide forever. Do those things and it will be easier. I know that these are the typical primary answers, but that is what works!! Why not be obedient to that?? I was so grateful to be with the 100 missionaries at the conference. There is something about being around missionaries, it boosts me up and makes me want to work hard. That night we had dinner with Cindy Anderson. She is going to come to church next week!! We met with Kevin and Robin that night too. Wow, it was a powerful lesson and I learned a lot from them. Kevin is VERY spiritual and told us an amazing story. It brought tears to my eyes as he was talking. Some background before I begin his story... Kevin and Robin took the missionary discussions 5 years ago. They were not married at the time and things got a little messed up, they were a bit offended and didn't get baptized. Over the last 5 years, missionaries always show up in their different houses and states. About a year and a half ago Kevin's dad died and it really shook him up. Last Sunday they came to church and the kids loved primary. They got a CD from the Primary to practice for the program if they want to participate. Now for the story from Kevin's perspective: "5 years ago I was given a gift, but because I was young and prideful I passed it up. I was crying on my back porch one day and then someone would show up. I would automatically say, No it is gonna be too hard, I don't want to give up some things. I thought nah, I don't want to do it. Then things would be okay for a little while and then something would happen and I would cry to God and then someone would show up. Again, I would put it aside and ignore it. Well I was again praying one day and I felt my dad's presence and I can remember the words that he said to me, 'Kevin, you have something so great and you only have so many chances. The Lord is patient, but you need to do something about this.' I have really been thinking about things and pondering about the church. On Sunday when we came to church and I saw my kids run out of class so happy, that made me so proud and I know that this is where our family needs to be. I can't put that aside. The kids have been listening to that music non stop for the last few days. I know that it will be hard, but I know this is the path that we need to take." Whoa!! I wanted to scream and jump up and down!!! I am so excited for their family. S. Stoehr and I are so excited to know them. I was grateful to bear my testimony and confirm the things that he said. The spirit was felt and they know that it is good. We hope to have the baptism on the 13th or the 20th of November.... now that would be a great bitrthday present!!! Good stuff!!
Friday and Saturday were alright, nothing too special happened. We went to the ward trunk or treat and ate with my fav family, Petersens!! I loved all the cute Halloween costumes!
Sunday... Happy Halloween!! S. Stoehr and I bought orange and purple tights and we felt very festive. haha! We had church, went to visit some people, got candy and had dinner with the Wintch's and Bair's. Those people are some of my favorites!! They cooked a yummy casserole inside of a pumpkin, it was gooooodd!! BUT one of the best things that happened that day was when we taught Emma Bartley (11 yr old). We taught the Plan of Salvation. Emma gets it, she understands it. At the end of the lesson we invited her to be baptized.. I thought she was gonna fly off her chair. She was so excited!!! She came over and gave us big hugs. Her mom went over and was going to start hugging her and Emma said, "Mom, don't hug me, you are gonna make me cry!!" Tears were all streaming down our faces and we listened to Emma telling her mom that she was so happy and she knew that this is what she needed to do. I am so excited for her!! We had to be inside by 7pm last night because of all the trick-or-treaters. Actually we had to be at President and Sister MacDonald's house by 7pm!!! We got to go to the mission home and study with 12 other missionaries for 2 hours. We all shared stories from the Book of Mormon, asked questions and had a great discussion. We ate yummy caramel corn and chocolate. I was so grateful for that experience. Never again will I be a missionary on Halloween. I am grateful for President, what a wonderful person who is guided by the spirit in everything that he does. I loved being in their home again. It brought back many memories from 7 months ago when I entered the mission field... so great.
Well this week was great!! Thank you for everything that you do for me :) I love and miss you all! I hope you all had a great Halloween :) Have a good week... Peace from Oregon!!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment